Saturday, September 6, 2008

Questions and answers !!!

For me, it was an aweful day.....
The hot summer was brooding and sultry, and as humidity reached its pinnacles, I was sweating profusely, even as I sat under the fan, strategically positioned to cool me off....
It was a heaven inside GIM, with central A/C and soft music spread everywhere but people when needed free thinking and some loud talking ,migrated into the canteen building across the large garden that was the centre point of GIM.
After introducing Srilaxmi to the class of MBA who for some time were awed by her beauty, but then slowly looked daunted by her obvious naïveté ,I too found solace in the canteen and sat there idle seeking respite and for some introspection as to what the HELL was my doing there...

I, for a minute hated the profession that I was in...

It was new to me... I had hated certain elements of the job there many a times but inspite of all the negatives I didnt hate the job, hadnt yet because of the students that I got to teach there..The best result that a teacher can hope for is the transformation that his students undergo under his tutelage,,.. probably that is the only take home or gratification that teaching as a profession world over gave its practitioners..I kept reassuring myself whenever I sulked....
The heat wave that swept me was refusing to get cured by that logic...

In a B school lots of star studded jobs came into campus and left with the bright students ... most of them bagging double and more of salaries than their wise and well learned teachers took home inspite of all their wisdom.... Still I didnt hate my job..... there was a unique satisfaction in seeing raw material turning into finished products that some one would come ,see, test, like it, and go buying... there was a unique bliss in seeing the teachers role in the pupils transformation...

I for a minute hated the profession only for the way it was practised in here at GIM...I just had lead a young lady into a class of demanding kids ,a damsel who clearly ventured into a profession having no idea about why she is there and what makes her qualified to be there....
I hadnt had in me the guts to say "I cannot be party to it" to the man who assigned me the dirty job.At GIM I was popular as a teacher, mostly because of the theory of relativity in place...AS compared to whom was a question no one ever asked...... I felt it good that way to be ranked top by the hundreds on young boys and girls with bright eyes and even brighter intellects, well informed mindsets and well oiled brains. Deep inside I knew that inexperienced damsels and good for nothing else idiots should walk in to teach at GIM, get the wrath of students and run away again and again, so that when the theory of relativity is applied next time when a student feedback is taken ,I remain visible and shining... We needed the bad ones, compared to whom the better ones looked the best,,,, HUH!!!

Sullied motives so glaring out of self declared altruism and no fan could beat the sweat ...

Prof Sukesh.... you are here.... walked in Valmiki Gupta ... into the canteen bouncing me back to GIM and its real world.....

Oh yes yes.. Guptaji ...I smiled sheepishly....Day dreamer eh...? he laughed loud as he came and sat opposite to me with a cup of tea and deep fried banana that GIM canteen was good for.

It seems to be rocking ..your soft skills classess... for the first time there is so much of noise in GIM .....I said and I meant it....

Ohh yes yes... and as expected they LOVEEEE it.... claimed gupta with his trumphet out....
I knew I did a mistake by encouraging this self important guy... He was ready with more of his tales but then I interfered as words got stuck in his mouth, in between hot pieces of fried banana..

Hope the management also feels the same... I garbled sarcastically.... The full time faculty hated the part timers who came,saw and conquered the student minds and I too felt the same with this man whose classes were LOVEEED by the kids.

hahahahhaa... Gupta laughed at my face with such blatant impunity that for a second put me to shame and made me regret again...

Why do you think so much noise is made? Asked Gupta biting off the last piece of banana fry, and quickly gulping the remaining tea...

I didnt know.. well ... I mean I could have come up with answers but unprepared to accept more of hoot and howl from the soft skills trainer, I kept shut....

It is not how you work my dear professor.....Gupta revealed as if in a sermon.... it is how you show you work....

I sat there ..... I atleast regretted my self centrism, it seemed to me that the rest of that world was celebrating it...

No comments: