Thursday, August 21, 2008

The loyality curve!!!

There are three types of people in GIM..the loyals, the pseudo loyals and the revisionists...

I fell into the second category by default than design for want of choice and where the survival of the loyalist was a key word, why risk life......

Jesus didn't shout at me but told me in clear terms that a faculty should have time sense and that should be the most important thing that we should be teaching the kids particularly through our actions...

Dictums...Directives...Definitions.....I was not very glad and cheerful about the ordeal but relieved that he did not heave up his voice as he usually does and made me look exposed before the inquisitive women who formed the support staff team at the HQ....

You are like my brother Sukesh... Jesus said with a smile, that was unique to him..

I wouldn't call it disarming but yes, it has some power in it that made people trust him.. The evangelist that he was, he knew to speak well, to smile at the right time, to modulate, to quote, to play humour , to pause and break in at proper intervals... brilliant conversationalist he was but hiding behind that brilliance was an inherent weakness that surfaced time and again making him look like a split person.. some one who had two faces... he suffered from an acute inferiority complex... He had everything and yet he had the lowliness feeling about simple things like his make up and complexion....

The loyals never saw it.. the revisionists had better things to think and worry about... but the insecure pseudo loyal saw it and knew it...

Chairman is coming back from Delhi today... he told me with glee... I have to go and greet him.... That was one practice which I felt was good... his dad was never referred to as Dad but Chairman and that, I presumed came from his education abroad....

Do we have some happy news coming up? I asked with enthusiasm to which he just flashed a smile as he walked out...
Dr Joy had been to Delhi to woo ( read it as whatever you want) head honchos of the AICTE in the capital city. Now for those who have not heard about that 5 letter word...... it is a statutory body, where in all the technical education (and bizarrely that includes management education and engineering along with a host of others) in this country are approved of and accredited to. That in simple terms mean, that if you grease the Hindi bosses sitting in the Indira Gandhi Complex office in New Delhi, their pan coated holy teeth will sparkle and if they do not you simply cannot run anything which is "technical" education in this country.....

Dr Joy was referred to in GIM as the King and king he was.....to be honest to the man who from selling alcohol and merely be a baron to thinking of a business school was far sight and his flag flew high for sure...... His far sight,according to Prof Ram was worth appreciating...

The Delhi visit and the Kings feats there was the hot topic of discussion that fine morning in the common seating area of the faculty room in GIM...( the faculty in GIM spends most of their free time there with tea and gossip, arguing about futile nothings, claiming how they would have run GIM if they were allowed to, assuming, ridiculing, and with pain going to classes( and most of them had quite a lot of classes going by the large student contingent at GIM and the paradoxically low number of faculty members) and rest of the time planning for the week ends...The women never or very rarely joined as they always had better things to do -like discussing on a new saree design or a jewellery shop offer as seen on that days newspaper)....

Almost everyone was present at the 'gupshup junction' as they were curious to know the outcome..... Dr Joseph, the Executive director or ED as he was called, led the discussion for a short while before he left to the HQ when called by the bosses and their anxiety knew no bounds .GIM wanted to be in taking another 60 or 120 students the coming year thus making it the largest B school in this part of the country...

More numbers= more students=more fees=full coffers=happy Joy+ Jesus+ their family=Increments for everyone....... Aha....!!!!

It was that dream equation that was driving the discussion over tea that morning as I walked into the room trying to drift away my thoughts from the utopian world where Jesus flourished to the banana republic where we guys simply subsisted...

He will make it... said some one

by hook or by crook.....said Prof Ram with his classy wicked smile and a scratch on my thighs ( I hate his manners... he wanted me to acknowledge and nod in acceptance but the pseudo loyal that I was, I could no way be a party to this side of the show....

....you should not have called him a crook.... quipped the English prof in his witty but cunning style...

Aha now you are putting your literature into my mouth.... said Prof Ram with a smile...

Right? he asked me ,this time without the scratch but with an even more blatant stare on my face...

I don't know... I said... and Why are we discussing this? ....I knew I sounded stupid , but I didn't care...

mmmm come controversy and he will ask this.... alleged Prof Ram...... as if it will ignite me .. a non reactive inert me.... fire my passion and flare me up...

And successful he was...

That is because I have a family my dear sir and unlike you I dont have bank balance, real estates and gold deposits....I live on this... I retorted with an apathetic gusto which was rare to me...

A moment of silence crept in and no one talked...

what is the news? are we getting a big cake? ...... to ease the tension, some one asked....

Wait for Dr Joseph to return... he is there waiting outside the HQ to see the king... said another prof as he stood up to retire to his cabin, probably getting reminded of the fact that some one above them ,was watching it all......No... not GOD but the cameras that dotted GIM and that made people inside the buildings and corridors actors... some good and some miserable!!!

****************************************************

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!