Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Raw material !!!

Leeladhar Reddy came from Guntur in Andhra pradesh, eldest son of a poor farmer, and was doing his second year masters in business management in GIM. An average student by any standards as far as I have seen him but keen to know things and learn life…Just like a most of his class mates, he was miserable in communication inspite of the LONG admission process that GIM claimed to have adopted to “ensure better quality of raw material” but his attitude to life was positive and that would be the only reason, why he will end in his dream job if he does.
I met him in the corridor outside the academic office, adjacent to the HQ portion of the main building, where the top brass was deliberating on the King’s feat in Delhi …..The poor youngster was sobbing uncontrollably.....

I am suspended sir, for two weeks and that means my whole semester is gone.. I will have to repeat the sem with the juniors sir.......the guy lamented as tears rolled down his cheeks.....

But for what.. what did you do? tell me ....I can try to help you.....demanded the professor in me but after a split second I regretted…ITS GIM .....PROFESSOR... I told a resentful myself….

I was sitting with Mary anand mathew in class, she touched my hands,touched my legs and..

mmm ..thats enough and you are caught..? Now I regretted even more for that blind assurance that I gave him just then..
Did I say that? What was the wording… I started going back….
Did I say I shall try to?
Or did I say I can try?
Or was it … I will help u..
What the hell did I???
I didn’t seem to hear his problem..... Mine was getting bigger and messier…

And now she is no where in picture sir, now it is said that I did everything and she....cried Leeladhar.....
mmm ... I muttered as if I disapproved it..... well I mean I disapproved it for sure but how did it matter?
I resumed walking into the HQ where the management sat ruling the GIM empire with iron hands and clay heads .....Leeladhar and his adrenalin rise was a non issue , atleast I tried to convince me that….
Mary anand regularly attended classes and probably scratched more thighs, but Leeladhar was left languishing outside the HQ in a vain attempt to see Dr Jesus- the Director of GIM...every morning he will show up at 8 and wait...Jesus will appear all of a sudden ,go in to his room as if he is a horse and is banned from side vision, get firmly saddled in the larger than life chair in his tech savvy, plush office which will put even Bill gates to shame, move in and out making Leeladhar Reddy stand up and sit down, every time with a hope smiling at his face that he may be called in....tea will go in and empty cups will come out, guests will come and go, lunch will happen ,all the women folk will be entertained and they inturn will entertain their boss... and later Jesus will disappear through the lift and into one of his saloon cars into an' undisclosed location' as his secretary would sheepishly say after he has left...Leeladhar would wait, in forever belief that he would be called in anytime.....but in vain....
After many days of this sordid drama, he was called suddenly by the secretary ,and as he woke up from his half slumber in the reception area ,trembling and shivering out of joy that at last he was called in...

You have to bring your father and by tomorrow 9 am he should be here- pronounced the proud lady (the priest has to be prouder than the Gods..Right?)

But madam.... fumbled Leeladhar..... Can I not see Dr Jesus.... and tomorrow.. My father is in Andhra... how can ...I ...god... madam...can..?

That I dont know...Dr Jesus has instructed me to convey this to you and now you can go....Clarified Madam secretary...

Leeladhar walked out cursing his stars and the moments when he felt that it is ok and even exciting to be caressed and cuddled by a girl,and that too in the darkness of a Management class room with chilling AC creeping in and when a boring portfolio management session was in full swing and when got caught, his body couldn’t come back to react and say a sorry and finish it there.... He still had a smile which the Prof took as an act of defiance and shamelessness which landed him in the mess that he was in.......
What will I tell my father... and how will I come out of this quandary..? Was the question that bothered him.
No one bothered.. the offender was a culprit and the ones seen with him, would be equally considered guilty.. Friends vanished and so did onlookers… It was surprising how life could be so cruel,,, but then when your life is more important why put it in peril for the sake of some one else…
Inside the HQ the celebrations had begun... the AICTE had almost cleared the proposal of a seat increase... Yes an inspection team would come, but then GIM has ' seen' many inspection teams in the past....
What is the big deal...? exclaimed Dr Joseph, the ED of the
B School, as he broke the news in the faculty room...
He looked beaming , the loyalist that he was to the King, even more than the King himself !!!

No comments: